Friday, September 21, 2012

The Real Stuff Has Begun


The real stuff has begun.

I just finished the 5th week of my second semester at Howard. Things are going well so far, though it’s certainly much more difficult than last semester. Mainly because I’ve now started the real music theory curriculum. Last semester I was only in fundamentals, and had no idea what I was really in for.

I’m really enjoying what I’m learning, and I definitely feel challenged. At the same time, it’s intense and stressful. I never worked this hard as a psychology major. It’s an entirely different game in the music department. It involves constant practicing, not only on my primary instrument (classical voice), but on guitar, piano, and all of my ear training exercises. I am extremely proud of how far I’ve come. This time last year, I didn’t even know the lines and spaces of the bass clef. Now I can recognize all 12 main intervals, as well as different chords, and scales. I can read music and am developing my sight-reading skills. I can accompany myself on guitar with a few simple songs and composed a song of my own before making it into a two part harmony. I am finally becoming the person I want to be. I just hope I don’t lose my drive anytime soon! Still about 2 more years after this. But I don’t think about that:)

No comments:

Post a Comment