Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One More Hurdle


My application for the music therapy program at Howard University is complete. I’ve submitted the online application, sent out my college transcripts, gotten my letters of recommendation in order, and written a personal statement. All that remains is THE AUDITION.

I am no stranger to auditions. Being involved in the performing arts all my life, I’ve been through countless ones, so I’m hoping my experiences will work in my favorJ. At the same time, auditions are intimidating, so I’ll be happy when it’s over. I was told to prepare 3 songs of contrasting styles. They told me that appropriate genres include classical, folk, and musical theater. And one song needs to be in a foreign language. So here is my chosen repertoire:

Classical Ballad
            -Panis Angelicus (transposed to a lower key because I can’t break glass with my voice)

Folk Ballad
            -Shenandoah

Musical Theater Up-Tempo
            -I Enjoy Being A Girl (from the Flower Drum Song)

My voice teacher is helping me prepare for the audition with these songs. I’m happy with the selection, I think it’s a good variety of genres as well as tempos. There will be a pianist at the audition, so I don’t need to worry about accompanying myself just yet. This is an undergraduate program, so I’ll learn both piano and guitar during the program.

My audition day is Friday, October 14th!!! Between now and then I’m just practicing my songs. It’s nice to know the rest of my application is already done. But I’ll be so happy after the 14th. Then I get to play the Waiting Game until the end of November, when I should find out if I’m in or not. My concern is that I may get into the school, but not for music therapy. With programs like this, it’s almost like two different things. And it’s possible to get into the school you want, but not for the program you want. All I can do is my best, and wait for the results!

Nervous, but hopefulJ





1 comment: