Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Future Music Therapist


I am on my way! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I start classes next month. After three and a half years out of school and feeling totally and completely lost, I feel like I’m back on track.

I haven’t yet met with my advisor to go over my transcripts. That’ll happen at the orientation in January, but about a year’s worth of my credits from Penn State should transfer. The music therapy program at Howard is a standard 4 years, so I’m probably looking at 3 years, or 6 Fall/Spring semesters. That’s hefty, but there’s really no way around it if I want to be a music therapist. The good thing is, once I have my undergraduate degree in music therapy, I will qualify to take the exam to get my certification. Then I will be a certified music therapist, and should be able to find employment.

After I finish this program, I definitely plan to get my master’s, although that won’t come until a few years after I get my certification. Colorado State University has a really nice online master’s program in music therapy, so that is where I plan to further my education in this field when the time comes. The program is designed for certified, working music therapists, so the fact that it’s online is awesome:)

But that’s a ways down the road. First, I have to complete this undergraduate program. I am excited, but nervous. It’s a big change, and a big commitment, but I know that something has to drastically change in my life for it to improve. There was just a little bit of commitment phobia when I got the admissions package last week. I never had any doubt about wanting to go at all. It’s just that all of a sudden the time is upon me, after all these months of preparing for my audition, and getting my application in order. I’m about to be really, really busy. But after living the opposite these past 3 years, I wouldn’t want it any other way:) I’m really excited, I can’t wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment